Thursday, July 1, 2010

July SAQA Michigan Profile

July SAQA Michigan Profile is:

Laurie Ceesay
Menominee, Michigan








How long have you been sewing and when did you begin to make art quilts?
I have been sewing since middle school when I made clothes for myself. I went to the University of Wisconsin-Stout in the mid ’70’s and took a Fiber Arts class. It was there I made my first quilt top. I dabbled through the ‘80’s and joined the local quilt guild in the early ‘90’s and never stopped! I made my first art quilt in 2003 after taking a year off from traditional quilting-I was bored with BOM, log cabins, Ohio stars, and Thimbleberries.
Describe your art and its inspiration.
I love to draw the human figure. I am a hairdresser and love hairstyles especially anything from the ‘60’s or ‘70’s. A friend recommended finding a niche so I combined my figure drawing and quilting. I tend to do a lot of portraits because I love to create the facial features and hairstyles the best. I find inspiration in hairstyle books where I work. I am also inspired by regional and national quilt challenges.

Where do you do most of your artwork?
I have a studio in my home in which I work. It is not as big as I prefer so I end up “expanding” into other areas of my house.

What are your goals? I have a goal of winning a ribbon in a national juried show. My art work has been juried into several shows but haven’t won a ribbon yet. I also have a goal of teaching for quilt guilds and quilt shows. I have had a continuous goal of spreading the news that art quilts are worthy at an art gallery or museum and not a blanket for the bed. Also to expand my creativity to the next level and continue to grow as an artist

Do you teach, lecture, curate or have a business of your artwork? I do teach and lecture.

Where can your work be seen?
I have some of my work at The Old Church Gallery in Cedar River Mi. and I will be in two exhibits back to back at The Bonifas Art Center in Escanaba Mi this summer. I'm participating in the Michigan Art Quilt Invitational exhibit which begins in Flint MI this September. I also have my work in various local exhibits in Menominee Mi where I live.

What are your interests outside of art?
I love to garden in the summer and make garden art. I love old wooden chairs which I paint in funky colors and stencil designs on them. I collect rusty garden, hardware and farm items for my garden. Walking for exercise and bike rides, when the weather permits are high on my list of other interests. I also have three cats that are my sewing buddies!!

To see more of Laurie's work visit her web site:
http://www.laurieceesay.com/

Tina Turner
8 1/2" x 11"
This piece appeared in Quilting Arts Magazine
April/May2009 Issue

The Blue Wig
35" x 25"


No comments:

Post a Comment